Visits to the website since: 6th October 2012 Website last updated: 11th December 2014

Nellie GRAZIER (1902- )


Spouse: George Edward PENFOLD

1 Nellie Ada GRAZIER (1902- ) [130].

Born 1902. Marr George Edward PENFOLD 2 Aug 1950.

Sp. George Edward PENFOLD (1889-1972) [128], son of Frederick William PENFOLD (1863-1901) [91] and Harriett Mary TUBB (1867-1934) [92].

George was stated as being a religious man by Hugh Glynn, Joan and Margaret


From an article in the book ‘The Home Children’.

‘There are no taps in the country and no roads, only trails’ I wrote to my mother from Canada in 1899. ‘Everyone has to bake their own bread, make their own butter and jam and chop their own wood!’ My mother kept my letters and gave them back to me. I still have two of them to remind me of those years.

I sailed to Quebec City onboard the Arawa. Some of the boys went to the Barnardo Home in Toronto and others, - of which I was one – went on to Winnipeg for a few days. While there I was introduced to cutting wood by means of a bucksaw and saw-horse.

From Winnipeg I travelled to Qu’Appelle by train and then on to Fort Qu’Appelle by stage coach. I saw water drawn from a well, and drinking pails for the first time. The farmer who took me was John White. He lived 16 miles north of the Fort, was married, and had a son David, and a hired man. I was taught to help in the house – drying dishes – and to feed cattle and horses, buck wood and later, milk cows. I was once called upon to milk all the cows, about twelve of them, when David was away for a day or two. The next year I learned to drive a team of horses and to harrow – walking behind the harrows, as it was usually done in those days. I also learned to ride a horse and to bring the cattle back home at night. I cannot remember the food, but it was no doubt good and I grew well on it. We attended church every Sunday. A Church of England service was held at Charles Neil’s farm one Sunday and a Presbyterian service was held on the next Sunday in another home. I remember winning 10 cents in a race at a picnic – my first Canadian money. Nothing was said about school. There as no compulsory education in those days and it was five years before I was able to attend school in Canada. I had been in standard three in England and could read and write quite well.

Life went on like that for three or so years. Once I was unhappy and ran away and Sergeant Fyffe of the Royal North West Mounted Police took me back. He gave me good advice, but I ran away again and spent some time with Mr and Mrs John Redpath, an elderly Scottish couple. Their farm was a few miles west of the Whites and across Jumping Deer Creek.

From there I went to Sam Redpath’s – one of the sons. He was a struggling rancher, married and with small children. There I learned was real work was like. I was expected to do a man’s work pitching hay onto a stack while Sam was on the stack building it up.

I spent one winter with Mr and Mrs J.C. Wood who farmed on the north side of th Qu’Appelle Valley above where the sanatorium was later built. I helped to haul grain from the farm to Qu’Appelle via the Fort, three times weekly in fair weather. We would bag and tie the grain and load it the day before on sleighs. The next morning we would set out with two loads and drive to the elevators, unload them, have lunch and start back, arriving about nine o’clock at night.

There was considerable visiting with other farmers and drivers on the road. Several sleighs would be in line. The horses would pull the loads and the drivers would tie the lines together for a blather – as the Scots say. On the return journey the speed of the horses would vary and the sleighs would become more scattered. It was a cold winter and I froze my nose, ears and chin, and sores developed. I had a disagreement with Mr Wood – newly married – and spent a month or two with a German bachelor who was also a rancher. He was supposed to pay me $1.00 a day, but paid me off with only one silver dollar.

In the spring of 1903 I joined myself to Mr and Mrs Thomas H. Barnes of the Fort. They had a son Harry, younger than me by a couple of years, and three girls who were all younger than Harry. They all attended school at the Fort. Here, I found a friendship that lasted after the death of the two parents. I must have been hungry when I came, for I can still remember my first mean with them – canned salmon and peas, warmed together in a pan. I thought it was delicious.

There was no school for me. We had work to do. Mr Barnes kept a stable and horses across the street form this home, and his work was meeting incoming settlers and talking them to see homestead lands that were still open north of the valley. He used to come back, paid off with British sovereigns.

Harry and I used to go south of the valley and get hay and firewood to use at home. We also took loads to the homestead that Mr Barnes had on the Loon Creek plain. On one occasion we were talking a load of poles to the homestead with a team of oxen. The oxen plodded along. Whenever they felt like a drink they would head for the nearest slough and drink, no matter what Harry and I wished. It was a slow trip. Dark came before we reached the homestead and we had to camp under the load, light a fire to keep of the mosquitoes, and finish our journey to the homestead the next morning.

That fall I shot my first wild crane by stalking it on horse-back. These birds had long legs and could see over the stooks.

Their meat was very tasty.

The winter of 1903-04 was one of the worst in years. Snow was six feet deep on the level and snowbanks in the Fort were high enough to step over the telegraph line which ran down the main street; steps were cut to get down to the stores. I learned to skate that winter, on skates which fastened to my ordinary boots with side clamps and a lever. It was the custom to build the rink on the river which skirted the north edge of town, using poles and straw for the sides and roof. In the spring the poles were removed and the debris floated down the river. It was a very cheap skating rink. That spring the river overflowed its banks and flooded the flats and fish were everywhere. The bridge was covered and lights hung at each end to guide travellers. There has not been such a flood since.

The spring of 1904 brought a big change to the Barnes family and to me. The Pheasant Hills Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway was being build from Kirkella to Saskatoon, and small villages and hamlets were springing up all along the line about seven or eight miles apart.

The line had reached Balcarres some 16 miles north-east of the Fort the fall before. Mr Barnes accepted the position of managing a new lumber yard in Balcarres and I, of course, went along. The job of moving nearly cost me my life. I was driving the team and wagon with a grain box back to the Fort for another load when I came to a ford over the Qu’Appelle River north-east of town. I wa spring and the snow had gone, but the river ice was still in position. I walked out onto the ice to test it and it gave way and I fell in up to my neck. I was able to scramble out, soaking wet, and drove the team to town around by the bridge, wet and shivering.

When we got to Balcarres, I was at last able to attend school. I took part in sports, helped in the general store and post office, and in the tinshop where I learned to make stovepipes. I have many pleasant memories of my life in Balcarres.

After four years I accepted a job at Cupar with John Hubbs, a real estate and insurance agent. Mr Hubbs had a large farmhouse on the outskirts of Cupar. I had a room in his attic and worked in the office – a small frame building of two rooms next door to the Union Bank. I was paid $25 a month and my board. Mr Hubbs was a trustee and the secretary of the Cupar School District, and my first job for him was to transcribe the minutes of the board meeting. When Mr Hubbs moved away I took over the job as secretary and held it for 37 years. I also married a teacher, Miss Annie J. Stuart, on September 29, 1910. We have lived in Cupar every since.

George E. Penfold*

Cupar, Saskatchewan



Cupar 19th February 1914

Real Estate, Loans, Insurance

Money To Loan

Best Companies only represented. Money to Loan at Current Rates.


Conveyancing done in a proper and up-to-date manner at a moments notice. Prices right.

G.E.Penfold - Cupar, Sask.


Cupar Herald, 26 June 1919.

The many friends of Sergt. Geo. Penfold will be glad to learn of his safe arrival in Cupar after serving overseas. George enlisted in the spring of 1916 with the 195th Battalion, going overseas with that unit. On proceeding to France he was drafted to the 75th Battalion, with which unit he served fourteen months in the trenches. He was then promoted to instructor of musketry, in which capacity he ?icted until the armistice was signed, after which he rejoined his battalion. Sergt. Penfold was fortunate enough to escape unscathed from the ordeal of the trenches. After being demobilized in Toronto, Sergt. Penfold returned home last Thursday, accompanied by Mrs. Penfold and children, who met him in Winnipeg.


Cupar Herald, 10 July 1919


This is to advise my numerous friends and business acquaintances that I have returned from France and am taking over my old Real Estate and Insurance Business from Mr. I.S.Bricker on July 15th.

It will be a pleasure for me to look after anything in the line of Lands, Loans and Insurance that you may require.


Notary Public


Cupar District: Taking Root ... And Growing - compiled by Cupar Historical Committee 1985

Mr. and Mrs. George E. Penfold p. 337-38


George E. Penfold was born on the Isle of Sheppy, Kent, England March 7, 1889. He came to Canada at the age of 10, under a group called Dr. Barnados Homes, to work on a farm at Balcarres. The address at that time being Fort Qu'Appelle, Assa, Canada.

George was fortunate, in that the people he was sent to (Mr. and Mrs. White) sent him to school. Coming from London, it must have been quite an experience - getting up at sunrise, getting breakfast ready, then milking cows, separating the milk, before he had his own breakfast. That first fall they threshed 800 bushels of wheat and oats.

He went to Cupar in 1908 working for the Hubbs family and continuing his education by correspondence. Mr. Hubbs got him started in the insurance business which he carried on for over 60 years.

George Penfoldand Annie Stuartwere married in September 1910. Annie Stuart Penfold was born in Blyth, Ont. in 1888. Annie was the sister of the late Dr.G.M.Stuart of Cupar. She came to Cupar in July 1908 and made her home with her brother. Annie attended Normal School in Regina and taught at Dysart and Cupar for two years.

During his life in Cupar, George was active in church work (St. Mary's Anglican), in different capacities as well as being secretary-treasurer of Cupar for 27 years. He was also secretary-treasurer of Cupar School District. He was an active member of the Legion and Masons. He served overseas in the First World War from 1916 to June 1919.

Annie Penfold was active in church work, and the oldest member of the Anglican W.A. at the time of her death in December 1948. She also taught Sunday School during and after the First World War. She was secretary of the Red Cross during the same period. During the Second World War she was president of Ladies Auxiliary of the Canadian Legion, which did a tremendous amount of war work. She was a charter member of the Royal Chapter Order of the Eastern Star and served twice as Worthy Matron. She died at the early age of 60 at home in Cupar.

Mr. and Mrs. Penfold had two children: Orville Penfoldborn in Cupar in May 1912. He died in Ottawa in 1976, leaving his wife Betty and son G.E.Penfold to carry on the Penfold name, plus one grandson and one granddaughter.

Alma M Penfold was born in Cupar in October 1913. Alma now lives in Vancouver and has three children and two grandchildren.


December 1954 Business Calendar


My name is Elaine Pain and I am on the Cupar and District Heritage Museum.

I am putting together a booklet on George Penfold for our museum.

He is buried here in Cupar.

When I finish it I can email you a copy.

He was sent to Canada in 1899 at age 9 through the Dr. Barnados Homes on the ship Arawa

In the 1901 Census District TT Assiniboia he is living with Mr. 7 Mrs White listed as domestic.

In 1906 District Qu'Appelle he is living with Herbert Deker as a hired hand.

In 1908 he came to live in Cupar where he would become a business man running a real estate insurance company which he sold in 1959.

He was in WWI C.E.F. 195th Reg. His regimental number is 907364

He was an Anglican, and a Mason.

His uniform from WWI is in our museum.

Elaine Paine - 12th December 2012



1"George Edward Penfold - Business Calendar".

Source: George Edward Penfold - Business Calendar